Stay safe checklist for businesses
24th September 2013
As local firefighters plan to take industrial action tomorrow, Wednesday 25 September 2013 at 12.00 (noon) until 16:00, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service share with us their checklist to help businesses stay safe.
Employers need to:
- Carry out a fire risk assessment
- Produce a written emergency plan
- Ensure that employees know about the risks present in the workplace
- Ensure that they know what to do in the event of an emergency
- Train your staff to know what to do in the event of fire
- Maintain the premises and any fire related facilities, equipment and devices
Find out more about your legal responsibilities at www.esfrs.org/businessSafety
- Do the people who use your buildings know how to get out in the event of an emergency?
- Have you recently checked your fire escapes are clearly signed and accessible and that your fire-safety equipment is in proper working order?
- When did you last have your lifts serviced?
- Does everyone know who to call if your lift breaks down and how long it would take for them to respond?
- Does the lift alarm system work?
Safety and security
- Are your premises ever unattended? If so, when did you last check they are secure?
- If you store any dangerous substances, are they being kept in an appropriate manner?
- Have you checked recently for any fire risks such as large amounts of rubbish or recycling?
Automatic Fire Alarms
- Have you got suitable procedures to quickly and safely investigate the cause of a fire alarm actuation before calling the fire & Rescue Service?
- Does everyone know how to contact the engineer if the alarm goes off when there is no fire?
For more information please visit www.esfrs.org